UK Mother and Baby Units

What is a Mother and Baby Unit?

A Mother and Baby Unit (MBU) is a specialist inpatient treatment unit where mothers with mental illness are admitted with their babies.

MBUs are the best setting for treating Postpartum Psychosis. Mothers are supported in caring for their babies whilst having the specialist care and treatment they need by health care teams with expert knowledge. They provide the right facilities to look after a baby and support bonding between mother and baby.

Our research indicates that women who receive care for Postpartum Psychosis in MBUs feel more satisfied with the care they receive, recover more quickly and feel more confident with their baby when they go home.

More information about getting help >

Where are the Mother and Baby Units in the UK?

England has 19 units and Scotland has two Mother and Baby Units (MBUs).

Map from the Maternal Mental Health Alliance.

UK Mother and Baby Units - Google Map

View UK Mother and Baby Units in a larger map.

Please note that MBU staff changes might mean email addresses can change. Use the MBU telephone as prime contact in an emergency. Check the latest information from the Mother and Baby Unit website if supplied.

What happens if there is no Mother and Baby Units nearby?

There are currently no Mother and Baby Units (MBUs) in Wales or Northern Ireland. There are many parts of the country with no Mother and Baby Unit. Even where there are MBUs, there may not be a bed available. You may be admitted to a general psychiatric ward. If that happens, your partner or family will need to care for your baby. If you have nobody else who can look after your baby, social workers can find a temporary carer. This will only be until an MBU bed is available or until you are well enough to care for your baby yourself. You may choose to be admitted to a general ward if the nearest specialist MBU is far from your home.

We're campaigning for more Mother and Baby Units - essential places of care for new mums experiencing severe mental illness.

More information about getting help >