How can I hold an event for APP?

hold an event for APP

You may like to host a bake sale or coffee morning, put on a concert or go busking. It’s up to you. Whatever you would like to do, decide where and when it will take place, then get in touch and let us know so we can support you.

How do I raise funds during my event?

If you are hosting an event in aid of APP then you can ask for donations on the door, set up ticketing through a platform like Eventbrite or ask people to donate via JustGiving (you can do this via your mobile phone).

We can send you APP-branded plastic handheld loose-change collectors for you to use at your event as well as balloons and various literature and information about postpartum psychosis (PP) and APP.

If you do use one of our plastic handheld collectors, please return this to us after your event by posting to Action on Postpartum Psychosis, PO Box 137, Swansea, SA3 9BT.

Details about how to pay in the money you’ve raised are below.

I want to make my event open to the public

Great! We can help you promote your event by sharing your fabulous efforts through all our online channels.

You could also create a Facebook event and invite everyone you know, go old school and make posters, or you could also try getting in touch with your local press for coverage.

Things to consider when organising your public event

If you’re running a public event, you’ll probably have a venue partner (pub, school, theatre, community centre) which you can work with to ensure that your event is organised efficiently and safely. Here are some things to think about.

  • Please ensure a risk assessment has taken place and proper plans are in place for the safety of participants. The Health and Safety Executive has further information.
  • Please ensure that your event is properly and adequately supervised. Where children are included, this includes:
    • providing proper adult supervision,
    • checking that the child’s parents/guardians have given their permission for their child to take part,
    • carrying out appropriate background checks if adults are to have unsupervised access to children.
  • Please consider what insurance cover you might need for your event.
  • Check whether you need any special licence; e.g. a public entertainment licence or licence to sell alcohol.

We shall be very happy to give you any more help and advice and offer our warm thanks for your support but we cannot accept any responsibility for your event, nor for anyone who participates in it.

How do I pay in the money I’ve raised?

If you have collected cash, then please count this in a secure environment. It is best practice for two unrelated individuals to count and record the collection, wherever possible. Please hold the cash in a secure place until it is possible to bank it.

At the point of counting, it is good practice for a record to be made of the amount received by denomination (e.g. 5p, 20p, £1 coins, £5, £10, £20 notes) for reconciliation with banking details at a later date.

It is possible to claim Gift Aid from the government on small anonymous donations in a cash collection, but we need to know the denominations and the cash needs to be banked directly into our bank account.

Therefore, we ask you to please fill out our Fundraisers Cash Counting Sheet (contact us at whilst counting the cash donations and return the completed form to us via email or post to Action on Postpartum Psychosis, PO Box 137, Swansea, SA3 9BT. Thank you.

We would be grateful if you could please deposit any cash donations directly into one of APP’s bank accounts:

Action on Postpartum Psychosis – The Co-operative Bank Sort Code: 08-92-99 Account Number: 65964330

Or, you can send a cheque made out to ‘Action on Postpartum Psychosis’ and post it to Action on Postpartum Psychosis, PO Box 137, Swansea, SA3 9BT.

If you have used one of our plastic handheld loose change collectors, we would be grateful if you can please return these to us by post - Action on Postpartum Psychosis, PO Box 137, Swansea, SA3 9BT.

Thank you.

How can I make sure APP gets the Gift Aid too?

For every £1 people donate to us, we can claim an extra 25p from the government in Gift Aid if we have the details of donors and they confirm they pay tax in the UK. If you raise money using JustGiving they will take care of the Gift Aid for you.

If you collect money yourself by using a paper sponsor form or taking donations on the door of an event, you need to ask your donors to allow us to claim Gift Aid on their donation. You can create a simple form to collect their name, home address, donation amount and a tick to confirm gift aid.

Any other questions? Please email