Experts by Experience Talks & Training
We have a number of Experts by Experience available to talk with health professionals at conferences and events - all women who have themselves experienced and recovered from postpartum psychosis (PP).
Our Experts by Experience can:
- Share their personal experiences of PP
- Give talks and training to your health professionals, describing their symptoms, experience of treatment and recovery, what worked well for them and what did not, the impact on their relationship with their baby, family and friends
- Share the experience gained from supporting others. All of our experts have the breadth of knowledge that comes from supporting many other women and families with the condition (online, via email and in-person) and engaging with the health professionals in their area.
Our Experts are robustly supported by APP. They have access to APP’s PP academic and clinical experts with international reputation, ensuring that they are well-informed and have up-to-date knowledge.
Our experts by experience are supported by robust safeguarding protocols and quality assurance measures within the organisation.
"Your session was so well received and mentioned repeatedly in the evaluations as one of the best parts of the training – so powerful. I understand from my colleagues that you also had quite a few questions from the audience and thank you for your honesty and openness in handling those so well."
“Very strong presentation, very strong woman to share the story so well and professionally”
“So useful to hear her story. We only see the beginning most of the time. She had a long recovery process”
“Very useful to get an inside perspective on postpartum psychosis and improvement in services in last 10 years”
“What courage and strength turning such a major life trauma into something so positive and productive”
To book an APP Expert by Experience for your event, please contact us to discuss requirements and availability. Prices available on request.
Training package includes sets of PP Insider Guides for each delegate.
Download our training flyer here.
Perinatal Mental Health Workforce Training Package
APP offer a training package in postpartum psychosis (PP) and Severe Mental Illness (SMI) in the perinatal period, delivered by a Consultant Perinatal Psychiatrist OR Senior academic, AND one of APP’s Experts by Experience.
The one-day training course is suitable for all professionals working with women and families in pregnancy and the perinatal period, including Psychiatrists, Midwives, Health Visitors, GPs, Obstetricians, Mental Health Nurses, Psychologists, IAPT workers, Psychotherapists, Social Workers, and Acute & Emergency staff.
By utilising clinical experience, cutting-edge research, and the real experiences of affected women and families, the course will up-skill the workforce, developing expertise and empathetic understanding. Learning objectives will address domains in the PMH competency framework, with a specific focus on the risk areas of SMI and postpartum psychosis.
For more information or to book an APP Expert by Experience and Clinical / Academic Expert for your training event, please contact us by email or telephone on 020 3322 9900 to discuss requirements and availability. Prices available on request.
This one-day workforce training package includes training resources, sets of PP Insider Guides for each delegate, and our travel to your site.
Alternatively, book an individual place here.
Download our training flyer here.
Watch the below video featuring APP Training Co-ordinator, Sally Wilson and APP Director, Dr Jess Heron at the Wales & South West Maternity & Midwifery Festival in 2018, talking all about APP's training and what's involved:
How else can APP help?
- Our clinical/academic PP experts and Experts by Experience can input into or review plans for service developments to ensure that they are appropriate to meet the needs of those affected by PP.
- APP is able to contribute to your management pathway by offering specialist peer support in the antenatal and postnatal period, from our experienced volunteers, with training, support, quality assurance, and safeguarding provided by APP.
- We can provide patient information guides for those affected by PP, or to support health professional training. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.